Ramblings, musings and generally boring stuff. Mostly about bikes...

Sunday, January 16, 2011


In my carelessness, and/or tiredness last night I stumbled into a radio on the floor next to my bed.

After rolling around, writhing in pain for several minutes, I assessed the situation.

While it felt like my nail had been ripped clean off, it was actually still firmly attached.

While it felt like searing hot pain, the little toe was still attached firmly to my foot.

I wiggled it around and was able to do so without going through the ceiling.

"It might be broken" I both thought and said aloud. Phil replied, "do I need to take you to the ER?"

I quickly explained that there is little they could do for me, even if it were broken, except make me wait, "buddy wrap" it and send me home.

So I did the next best thing.

I went to bed.

Throughout the night I woke due to the pain from it touching the sheet.

Not a good sign.

I woke at 5am, thinking about my having to ride at Frostbike in a few hours.

I willed myself back to sleep and resolved to at least try to 1) walk 2) put on a cycling shoe 3) attach said shoe to my pedal 4) ride.

By 7:30 am, I was able to do #s 1 and 2.

My sad little toe was decidedly swollen and a little discolored.

I hobbled around and decided it would be a more wise idea to just do the Frostbike Ride, and NOT attempt to ride to and from Cafe Ventana.

I called Suzanne to give her the heads up in time for her to make the other Pre-Frostbike ride with Kate and crew.

I then set about getting ready....

Uggs were roomy enough to allow me to walk and keep my tootsies warm.

I headed over to Cafe Ventana.

At this point, the pain is constant but not as acute. (or Cute for that matter)

I was able to walk, with a little limp. And about 45 minutes later, I clipped in and off we went.

I skipped the toe warmers. Out of fear that they would be just enough pressure to send me over the edge.

I soon realized, err rationalized, that the frozen toes from the 20 something temps might have the same effect that icing my swelling little piglet would get... reduction in Inflammation!

With Suzanne's company, along with 30 some other Frostbikers, I completed 11.5 miles with a maybe broken toe!

Afterward, during social and eating time, my littlest piggie thawed. It didn't hurt that bad.

Until I forgot to be careful of it and gave a little hop off the step while leaving Ventana.

Yow! Yep, still angry

So, I've never broken a bone before... (knock on wood) and I'm not entirely sure this little guy is broken.

Still hurts and is an ugly shade of red/purple on the side and underneath, but I can still walk.

And more importantly, I CAN STILL RIDE!

No comments: