HEY, WHY NOT?

Ramblings, musings and generally boring stuff. Mostly about bikes...

Monday, May 24, 2010

Paying my dues

O'Fallon Crit, May 22

What do they say about doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results?
Jamie has assured me, time and time again, that this year is about paying my dues.
I don't know why I get my hopes up, going into each race, thinking I have a chance, only to get dropped at the 2nd, 3rd or 4th prime lap.

This race was no different. Except for two great momemnts! THe first was when I pulled through after about 5-6 minutes to take my pull. As I came to the front, Chris commented that this would likely be a prime lap. I was cool with that. As I motored up the climb at the start/finish, I heard Aaro make a comment about me trying to make a break. What?
I looked back and had several bike lengths separating me and the field.

I was OFF THE FRONT!! It only lasted for a minute. I eased up at the top of the climb and the swallowed me back. It wouldn't have done any good for me to attack. I know I can't stay out for long and it was WAY too early in the race. Plus, the primes were only for the field, so I couldn't even jump with the hopes that I could stay away for the prime. Oh well.

The second moment was after I had been dropped. Although watching myself get dropped was kind of cool too, because I got to watch Chris take off in her sprint for the QOM prime. She's so fast.

So I wasn't surprised when she lapped me after about 25-30 minutes of racing! But I was surpised when I jumped on her wheel and was able to stay there for nearly a whole lap. This wasn't just any lap! She was tearing it up. We were going 30 mph on the back of the course! Woo Hoo!

But I couldn't hang on. Soon the heat was settling in on my head and back. The moments where the breeze ceased were increasing. I actually unzipped my jersey (A first for me!) The little hill felt harder and harder.

After I got lapped a second time by Chris and once by the rest of the field (This all happened on the same lap. She almost lapped Amy and Jamie in the chase group!) I actually sat up and attempted to get lapped again to prevent from having to do another lap in the race. After 20 + laps, one wasn't really going to make that much difference either way.

I took 9 out of 10. Again. DFL again if you count finishers only.

I'm going to start trying something different! It all begins June 2. Stay tuned!

No comments: